|Inks|| Robert Bat|
|Issue||3-06 / 3-07|
|Date||April 1993 / May 1993|
|Page(s)||12 / 16|
|Story code||KJZ 101|
|⇦ Index ⇨|
|Show and Tell||Watts the Problem!|
"Super Union Blues" is the 14th of 35 Darkwing Duck comic stories published in the Disney Adventures magazine. It is a two-parter spread over two issues and the first multiparter comic story printed in the magazine. The parts have no names of their own, simply being "Part 1" and "Part 2".
When Darkwing turns down the offer of joining the Super Power Union (which Gizmoduck happens to be a delegate of), the union's ambassador, Mr. Wonderful, threatens to have his teammates upstage Darkwing and force him out of the superhero business... and it seems to work!
While Launchpad works on snapping Darkwing out of his forced retirement, Gizmoduck finds out that Mr. Wonderful is actually working for F.O.W.L. and rushes off to alert Darkwing... with the still-duped S.P.U. members coming after him.
- Mister Wonderful is a reference to Mister Fantastic. His outfit is a near-match to the Marvel characters, and he leads three other superheroes. Also, like Mister Fantastic before the turn of the century, Mister Wonderful smokes a pipe.
- Launchpad mentions "sadistic mimes from Dimension X", possibly referring to the home dimension of Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Ulti-Man is a parody of Superman. Like the DC character, he's an alien performing heroics on Earth. Dandelions are Ulti-Man's kryptonite and even the glasses get a shoutout, although in Ulti-Man's case he wears them as superhero rather than as civilian (presumably).
- Steelbeak also tries to impersonate a superhero in the cartoon episode "Smarter Than a Speeding Bullet".
- The earlier comic "Feeling Flushed" has Darkwing say he is a member of the superheroes union. This would place "Feeling Flushed" after "Super Union Blues" and mean that Darkwing ultimately accepted membership after all.
- This comic marks the first appearance of Mister Wonderful, Screaming Mimi, Lenny, Monkey-Flash, Ulti-Man, and the Super Power Union.
- When the dandelions are pushed in Ulti-Man's face, his cheeks are missing.
- After dealing with Ulti-Man, Steelbeak goes in three panels from wearing his Ulti-Man costume to wearing a Ulti-Man colored version of his trademark suit to his trademark suit in regular colors.
- Darkwing Duck was featured on the cover of issue #3-06 of Disney Adventures for the second time of the magazine's run.
- Darkwing himself was once changed into a Superman parody in the cartoon episode "The Secret Origins of Darkwing Duck".